- President Brewer has sent questions to the command staff second week of April. Chief Johnson responded that he has received the questions and will answer them. Its been over a month and no answers.
- We have offered solutions and temporary fixes, but have not received any feedback from them.
- Currently, this is the hottest topic around the fire department and questions about the implementation but very little information is coming out from Command Staff. Just another example of how the treat their employees.
- First week of December, President Brewer sent questions to Command Staff and City HR about the division chief process. This lead of HR conducting an "Investigation" beginning of January. This is still going on apparently because there has been no resolution.
- The question begin asked was basically a Yes or No question. There was no need for and investigation.
- Emails, minutes from a staff meeting and recordings of the staff meeting all give us the answer. Command Staff refuses to finalize the "investigation"
The City hiring a retired employee to conduct investigations
- Some of the investigations into retaliation have moved forward. This being said, the "independent third party" that is investigating these accusations retired from the city in December.
- This person actually worked for and reported to Shelia Simpson, the Director of HR
- They retired in December, formed their own company, and 5 weeks after retiring was hired by the City as the independent third party.
- City Staff has become brazen in showing they do not care for any employee.
-It has been brought to out attention that some of out brothers and sisters have been receiving substantially lower paychecks. This is due to people being put on workman's comp.
-The issue is no one has contacted them about filing a workman's comp claim. Not the city, fire department, or Sedgewick, which is the company the city sub-contracts to handle this has had any communication with members.
- In typical fashion, everyone blames everyone else and no one takes responsibility.
- After weeks of asking, we finally got the answer of Chief Skiers is the Fire Department liaison between the City's Risk Management.
- How and why is there a determination between "off-duty" and "on duty" exposures.
- What does this mean as far as treatment in the future if this disease causes other lung problems.
Firefighter 2 classes
- Your union has fought for compensation for taking classes to make Firefighter 2 and finally won that battle 4 years ago. But now it is back.
- The "professional" fire department is now asking Firefighter 1's to voluntarily take classes on their own time for promotion.
- If you are not being paid by the City of Charlotte, you will not be covered under workman's comp.
- CMPD pays their officers to take the classes to make Senior Patrol officer.